Sunday, March 7, 2010

Nip and Tucked

More than a week ago marked the 100th and last episode for one of my favorite shows Nip/Tuck. I believe I started watching the show in high school and continued on throughout my college years. The show actually started in 2003. I was a little late in the game watching it but really didn't miss much. Although, the show was always edgy, interesting, and somewhat dark I think the thing I will miss most are the characters. I have to admit however the show did seem to get bizarre and weird after the second season. I will miss tuning in every Wednesday night to watch what Dr. Troy and McNamara are up to. What I think really drew in the viewer was looking at how two plastic surgeons and their lifestyles. I loved how Christian's has no concern for money. He always bought Ferrari's, Lamborghini’s, expensive houses, and having idea if he was broke or rich. Of course this is a fantasy world created by TV writers and does not mirror reality (or if it does to a very small degree). One of my favorite episodes was this past season where they showed Sean and Christian in their college years. I wonder however, what is ahead for both of these actors. Will they just be remembered for their appearance from one show or be known for other roles?
Nip/Tuck spawned off many reality shows such as Dr. 90210. What is really interesting is how much people spend a year on plastic surgery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons 12.1 million cosmetic procedures were performed. This number does underestimate the total amount of surgeries since there is another board just for just facial plastic surgery. I have a feeling that the popularity of Nip/Tuck increased not only the awareness of plastic surgery but made it more socially acceptable. Hopefully, people realize that plastic surgery is a serious procedure and understand that there are risks with any surgery. Also finding a board certified surgeon either by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Board of Facial Plastic Surgeons is important. Many doctors can take a weekend course and be an “expert” in plastic surgery. For example, Dr. Robert Rey and Dr. David Matlock (seen in Dr. 90210) are not board certified in plastic surgery. Although, they perform plastic surgery procedures they are not certified to do them which should make wonder about what kind of quality they can provide. Plus, you have to wonder about the doctors you see on television. Usually, you people that have to advertise because they “aren’t” good doctors or surgeons. Maybe their commercials should discount their quality by at least 25%. People have to remember you get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment